Friday, January 21, 2011

Picture of the Day - 1/21/2011



Aspens in Snow - During the last big storm a three weeks ago, I took off in the Explorer to go find some pictures. It was bitterly cold with a stiff breeze, which quickly froze my unprotected fingers. Fortunately, I was able to work from the warmer vehicle. Near our house in Woodland Park, are several groves of aspens that make great subjects. This was originally captured as a vertical (you generally shoot vertical subjects vertically), however, once on the computer and looking carefully, I realized the whole top half was cluttered with distracting elements. So, I decided to crop the image to a square format, lopping off the distracting top, and leaving the composition seen here. Three of anything is generally a pleasing arrangement and I really like the resulting simplicity. The grasses add a nice background of texture, which balances the boldness of the trunks. This is what originally caught my eye, so the right thing to do was to get rid of everything else that failed to add to the composition. This may make a good B&W conversion as well! Settings: +1 EV exposure compensation, ISO 200, 1/250 second at f11.

1 comment:

  1. We just love what you capture on film. I love the "eyes" of the Aspens. It's cold here, too, in Michigan. This morning it was -10 but we bundled up and had a great morning walk. Left the cameras home, as we too, thought about our fingers. Ha!

    ReplyDelete