Friday, December 10, 2010

Mobile Connectivity on the Road

Those of you who travel a lot - especially into remote areas and who need internet connectivity for email or conducting business on the road - this may be your solution! My job takes me on the road quite often and I need regular access to email and the internet. There are many providers of "mobile connectivity" for areas not blessed with free Wi-Fi, but most force you into buying an expensive 2-year contract along with their plug-in USB "dongle". Virgin Mobile, on the other hand, offers a no-contract, month by month plan, which is ideal for the occasional traveler. I purchased their MiFi 2200 credit card-sized solution ($150), which works off the Sprint (or roams to Verizon's) network - the combination of which is one of the most extensive coverages in the U.S. This can be ordered off their web site (http://www.virginmobileusa.com/) or purchased through Best Buy and others.


This small card allows wireless connection of up to five devices. So, once its turned on, both Sheila and I have access simultaneously! I can be answering client emails while Sheila surfs the Web or goes through her email. The speed varies, but both Spring and Verizon have fairly fast networks (up to 150k bps rates). While not the speediest, it gets the job done! Best of all, you're not locked into a long-term contract. I just pay $40/month or $10 for 10 days - just for the time I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment