Friday, December 24, 2010

Picture of the Day - 12/23/2010



East Face of Mt. Whitney - I took this photo last February on my way to the NANPA (www.nanpa.org) photo conference in Reno. I was just entering the town of Lone Pine from my stay the day before in Death Valley. Whitney is the highest peak in the continental U.S. at 14,495 feet. While I've climbed it twice via the main trail, I've yet been unsuccessful in climbing the east face. Coming upon this scene this year reminded me of my attempt to climb it while in college. My climbing partner and I made it about 3/4 of the way up, before being chased back down by a lightning storm. It's hard to tell the scale, but it took us over 20 rappels to get back down and out of danger. Photographed with a Canon 1D Mk2 with 100-400 mm lens at 310 mm. ISO 200, f8 and 1/800 second. I did the B&W conversion in Lightroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment