Monday, January 02, 2006

Camera Bags - #1


Like most serious photographers - especially those who travel extensively, I seem to always be looking for just the right sized camera bag for the particular application at the time; whether it be a light-weight field kit, sports shooting or when I need to take the whole enchilada.

As such, I've amassed a considerable colection of various bags, including fanny packs, belt systems and full-sized backpacks. Switching over from a consumer-sized to a pro-sized camera system didn't help matters; as I discovered I had "grown out of" most of my existing bags.

My very first bag - the LowePro Off Road (fanny pack / shoulder bag) was actually my most-used bag - easily holding a regular-sized D100 body with 80-200/2.8 (in external lens pouch), a normal zoom, wide-angle zoom, extension tube set, 1.4 teleconvertor and 105mm macro lens. Plus, it held a flash (external lens pocket) with all the other goodies needed (filters, cleaning gear, etc.). It was quite an amazing bag and I loved the fact it could be slung over a shoulder, hand-carried or attached to my waist.

When I was on the road, I occasionally switched over to the full-sized LowePro Pro Trekker All Weather - now slightly too large for carry-on (more on that in Camera Bags - #2). I always had an affinity for the smaller field kit and once I had switched over to the Canon 1D Mark 2 (a relativly large body) and corresponding f2.8 lenses (large, as well), I simply couldn't continue using my existing bags. In addition, since I was shooting digital extensively, I also needed a way to carry my laptop.

So enter the LowePro Stealth Reporter series (shown above). I ended up purchasing their 650 All Weather (AW) model. It can hold everything the Off Road could, plus my laptop. I tried adding their modular belt system, as I really prefer a waist-carry system, but found it was too heavy and kept sliding down or tending to tip outward. So, it's now purely a should carry bag. I've been using this now for the last year and it's working out well.

For more info:
www.lowepro.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment