Monday, January 02, 2006

Camera Bags - #4


I travel a lot and when I'm on the job doing travel photography, I've always been a little leery in carrying a large bag of camera gear during the shoot, unless I have a photo assistant along. Don't we always have one of those handy? :-)

In any case, I'm always on the lookout for an equipment case or bag that doesn't say "steal me" in big letters. One thing I've used on occasion is the small-sized Igloo cooler, which is designed to hold a six-pack of drinks. It will typically hold 2-3 lenses and film or other accesories.

Recently, I discovered the Kelty "Hawk" model extended-size fanny pack at the newly-built Sportsman's Warehouse in Colorado Springs (located near the Citadel shopping mall). After reviewing the Kelty Web site, it appears this model is no longer current, but they have a very similar "Hawkeye" model.

The main compartment is 12 x 12 inches by 8 inches deep and should easily accomodate a large SLR with 1-2 lenses, plus many accessories and a flash with water bottle stuck into the outside pockets. It also includes several other pockets for smaller gear with a padded compartment for sunglasses. It can either be strapped around your waist or carries with a shoulder strap. This just looks like it's begging to be brought along on my next trip! Cost was $50.

Check out:
http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=pack&ID=254.

No comments:

Post a Comment