Friday, February 12, 2010

Picture of the Day - 2/12/2010


Today, you get a doubleheader from Bryce Canyon NP. I "camped" last night at the Best Western - the new one across from Ruby's Inn - which is just outside the park boundary. Getting up early yielded some excellent sunrise photos of the formations. This first one is taken from Inspiration Point in a cold, blustery, wind. I finally put on some gloves, because my fingers were sticking to the camera - - kidding! It was pretty cold, though.


The second shot was taken from the same area a little later; just with my 100-400mm lens, so we could get more of a close-up shot. Notice how the rocks are glowing. The sun is just peeking over the horizon. The rest of the day was spent photographing waterfalls and reflections at Zion NP. I may have to throw these in if my pictures tomorrow are a bust. I'll be heading to Cathedral Gorge State Park in Nevada and then on to Death Valley for sand dune pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots, Ken. Been there twice, but always in spring, so I've never seen that much snow there.

    Here are links to a couple from our last trip, all shot around sunset. Yes, even though the canyon faces east, one can shoot sunset shots at Bryce --
    http://www.pbase.com/donrisi/image/79620960.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/donrisi/image/79620954.jpg
    http://www.pbase.com/donrisi/image/79620956.jpg

    Can't wait to see your Zion shots. It is another amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zion didn't turn out that great with the overcast. I may post a waterfall picture sometime, though.

    ReplyDelete