Saturday, March 21, 2009

Picture of the Day - 3/10/09

Sorry these photos have been delayed. We've arrived in Anaheim, Calif. and are staying with Sheila's brother, Jack, and wife Irene and have been busy doing family stuff. I'll try to catch you up over the next couple days.

We decided to stay an extra day at Organ Pipe cactus N.M. and I'm really glad we did. We took the same "mountain" loop as yesterday afternoon and saw a variety of wildlife - some fairly rare. Pictured is a western diamondback rattlesnake Sheila spotted near a bush by the road. She's typically my best wildlife spotter, as I'm pretty deficient at this. I had my 100 to 400 zoom and was able to get a close-up shot without getting "too close"! Notice how well the 3-foot long snake blends in with his surroundings. It never really tried to escape - just kept it's beady eye on me, allowing me to make several different compositions. If I did get too close, it would start rattling away until I backed off. You definitely want to watch your step if walking the trails here.

No comments:

Post a Comment