Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Picture of the Day - 3/31/09

Last night, I hired a Navajo guide to take me around to the "restricted" areas of Monument Valley Tribal Park early next morning. While I was waiting for him to arrive I had a chance to capture the Mittens during the sunrise. This was the view just outside our trailer. The sun was just peaking around the West Mitten and causing a circular rainbow artifact that encircled the Mittens. Although artificial, I thought the effect was pretty striking. The lens used was Canon's 70-200 / f2.8, set to f22 and 1/100th second in manual mode and ISO 200 When shooting directly at the sun, I keep the depth of field preview button pressed (at f22, or higher) while composing in order to protect my eye. This will dim the viewfinder image to relatively safe levels. Take your eye away before releasing the button.

No comments:

Post a Comment